Apply for a grant
Before you apply for a grant, please read the below information to learn if you are eligible and fit with our funding priorities. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to e-mail us!
Please note: HYLF is not accepting applications currently. Information will be posted on the homepage at www.hivyoungleadersfund.org when the next 2012 grant cycle is announced.
HIV Young Leaders Fund supports organisations and projects led by and serving young people most affected by HIV. Applicants can apply for core or project funding.
Key activities supported by HYLF:
Local, national, regional or international HIV advocacy.
For example: Advocacy to make harm reduction services for drug users available to young people 18 and under, working with health clinics to change their hours so more young women can use them, or asking the National AIDS Council to create prevention programs for young gay men.
Local peer-based HIV services.
For example: Starting or maintaining a support group for young people living with HIV, a project that helps street children get health care, or HIV treatment and prevention education for young sex workers.
Local community mobilization.
For example: Creating a coalition to address stigma in public schools towards young people living with HIV or organizing a group of young people into a treatment activism network.
- The work must be youth-led. Youth-led means your organization or project is coordinated and governed by young people aged 30 years or younger. Youth-led organizations and youth-led projects (this can be within a larger organization or a new initiative) are eligible for funding. Proposals which clearly demonstrate a team of young people share decision-making responsibilities and leadership will be prioritized.
- Registered and non-registered organizations may apply. However, non-registered organizations must have a fiscal sponsor who is registered as a nongovernmental organization. Groups with fiscal sponsors must have a written agreement with their fiscal sponsor outlining the terms of the sponsorship.
- We highly encourage applications from groups that are by and for young people most affected by HIV. This includes young people living with HIV, sex workers, people who use drugs, men who have sex with men, transgender people, and women.
The following groups are not eligible for funding: individuals, for-profit organizations, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral institutions. Youth-led organizations that have an operating budget of over $100,000 are ineligible. Non-youth-led organizations which have youth-led projects applying and whose annual organization budget exceeds $250,000 are ineligible. In addition, you cannot serve on HYLF’s Community Review Panel and also apply for funding as the leader of a project or organization.
- One proposal per organization.
- Applicants should fill out the Grant Application and Budget Template, available on HYLF’s website at www.hivyoungleadersfund.org.
- It is important to us that you are honest in your application, and that you do not misrepresent your work or the people you work with.
Our grants range from $5,000 – $15,000. Please check the specific RFP you are applying for to determine how much you can apply for.